Charitable Organizations and Fund Raising
Charitable organizations, fund-raising counsels, and professional fund-raisers are regulated under Chapter 202, subchapters I and II, of the Wisconsin Statutes. Charitable organizations are organizations that are established for a charitable purpose. Fund-raising counsels plan, manage, advise, consult, or prepare materials with respect to solicitations for charitable organizations. Professional fund-raisers request contributions that will be used for a charitable purpose or that will benefit a charitable organization.
Update for Charitable Organizations
Several changes have taken place regarding State of Wisconsin regulation of Charitable Organizations. Please see the Legislative Council Memo regarding 2015 WI Act 163.
You may also see the statutes affected by the changes.
Professional Fund Raisers Renew Online
Renew Online - Log in with your Credential Number and PIN to begin the easy Renewal Process.
- Forgot your Credential Number? Use Search Registrants to look up your number.
- Forgot your PIN? Use PIN Lookup to look up your PIN.
The following section is designed to provide donors with tips to ensure that their charitable gift will be used as intended and to answer questions about charities and charitable giving.
Charity and Fundraiser Search
- How To Quickly Research Wisconsin Charitable Organizations (PDF: 337 KB / 2 pages)
- Giving Tips for Donors
- Tips for Making Online Donations
- Online Resources
- Donor Frequently Asked Questions
- Reducing Unwanted Telephone Solicitations and Junk Mail
- How to File a Complaint against a Charity or Fundraiser
Online Services for Charities and Fundraisers
- Search Registrants
- PIN Lookup
- Application Status
- Online Registration Renewal The online registration renewal service will be activated on June 1st. Your registration cannot be renewed prior to that date.
- Name & Address Change
- Print⁄Download a Certificate
Important Information for Charities and Fundraisers
Please Note: The Department of Financial Institutions (DFI) will no longer accept Department of Safety and Professional Services forms after October 30, 2014. Click here to go to the DFI forms page.
- Letter to Charitable Organizations - includes an introduction to DFI and information regarding the renewal process and annual reports - 4/9/2014 (PDF: 36 KB / 2 pages)
- Letter to Professional Fundraisers - includes an introduction to DFI and information regarding bonds and the renewal process - 4/9/2014 (PDF: 43 KB / 2 pages)
- Obtain Forms - applications, annual reports, bonds, etc.
- View Chapter 202, Subchapter I, Wis. Stats. - General Provisions
- View Chapter 202, Subchapter II, Wis. Stats. - Solicitation of Funds for Charitable Purposes
- View Rule DFI-Bkg 60 - Charitable Solicitations
- Find answers to Charitable Organization FAQs
- Find answers to Fund-raising FAQs