Our Offices will be closed on: Monday, May 27th, 2013
The Department of Financial Institutions will be closed on Monday, May 27th, 2013.
Although the Agency will be closed to the public, Internet Web Services will still be available for individuals who are accessing or filing documents over the Internet. For additional information regarding documents that can be filed or processed over the Internet for a specific program, please visit that program’s information on our web site. There will be no mail delivery to the Department on holidays or weekends. There also will be no staff to accept courier deliveries.
To see future days that the Agency will be closed, click 2013 Closure Dates. (PDF: 169 KB / 1 page)
Mortgage Banking primarily regulates and supervises loan originators, mortgage bankers and mortgage brokers. The Nationwide Mortgage Licensing System & Registry (NMLS), a mortgage licensing system operated by state financial regulators, including Wisconsin was launched in 2010. Wisconsin has transitioned to using NMLS for all of it's mortgage licensing.
New SAFE MLO Test with Uniform State Component to Start April 1
The Conference of State Bank Supervisors (CSBS) has announced that a new National SAFE MLO Test with a uniform state component will be available on April 1, 2013. With the implementation of this new test, Wisconsin will no longer require a second, state-specific test component to be taken by mortgage loan originators (MLOs) seeking licensure. http://mortgage.nationwidelicensingsystem.org/profreq/testing/Pages/UniformStateTest.aspx and read through the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s)
Mandatory Reporting Requirements for Mortgage Bankers and BrokersWisconsin Mortgage Banker and Mortgage Broker Licensees Mandatory Reporting Requirements (PDF: 28 KB / 1 page)
More NMLS Links
- Continuing Education through NMLS
- Test Content Outlines
- Wisconsin State Licensing Requirements on NMLS
- NMLS Resources & Support
- License Definitions
- File a Mortgage Banking Complaint
- Federal Reserve - Truth in Lending Compliance is mandatory beginning on April 1, 2011
- Notice of Interest Rate on Required Residential Mortgage Loan Escrow Accounts for 2013 (PDF: 9 KB / 1 page)
- Historical Interest on Escrow Rates (PDF: 9 KB / 1 page)
- New rule effective January 1, 2010 regarding transition to license system, branch offices, mortgage broker agreements, surety bonds & tradenames (section 7 effective January 1, 2011. (PDF: 65 KB / 16 pages)
- Statement on Subprime Mortgage Lending (PDF: 81 KB / 9 pages)
- Guidance on Nontraditional Mortgage Product Risks (PDF: 84 KB / 11 pages)
- View Mortgage Banking Administrative Orders Issued (last updated: 4/13/12)