A notary public is an individual issued an appointment by the Secretary of the Department of Financial Institutions to serve the public as an impartial witness, performing notarial acts as are allowed or required by law.
Any United States resident 18 years of age or older who has at least the equivalent of an eighth grade education, has passed the notary exam with 90% or better within one year of applying, and has demonstrated adherence to laws according to the Wisconsin Statutes with regard to arrests and convictions, is eligible to apply for a Wisconsin Notary Public Commission.
Remote Online Notarization
- Guidance for Notaries Seeking to Perform Remote Online Notarial Acts
- Guidance for Individuals Seeking Remote Online Notarial Services
- List of Wisconsin Notaries Authorized to Perform Remote Online Notarial Acts
- List of Approved RON Communication Technology Providers
- RON Communication Technology Provider Application
For More Detailed Information, please read the Notary Public Information Publication.
Email: DFINotary@dfi.wisconsin.gov Phone: (608) 266-8915