You are here:   

Corporation Section Filing Fees

Limited Liability Company Filings & Fees
(In effect January 1, 2004)

WISCONSIN LIMITED LIABILITY COMPANY FILINGS Wisconsin Limited Liability Company Foreign Limited Liability Company
Articles of Organization on paper $170.00  
Articles of Organization Electronic QuickStart LLC $130.00  
Amendment or Restated Articles $40.00  
Articles of Merger $150.00  
Articles of Dissolution $20.00  
Application for Certificate of Registration   $100.00
Application for Amended
Certificate of Registration
Articles of Conversion $150.00 $150.00
Application for Certificate of Withdrawal   $40.00
Annual Report $25.00 $80.00
Articles of Correction $40.00 $40.00
Change of Registered Agent/Registered Office $10.00 $10.00
Agent’s Change of Registered Office, or Statement of Resignation $10.00 $10.00
Application for    
- reserved name (or renewal) $15.00 $15.00
- registered name (or renewal) $50.00 $50.00
- use of indistinguishable name $10.00 $10.00

HOW TO APPLY: Submit Form 521 with the filing fee, to:
Department of Financial Institutions
P O Box 7846
Madison, WI 53707-7846
Phone: (608) 261-7577
TTY: 711
If sent by courier, Express or Priority US mail, address to:
Department of Financial Institutions
4822 Madison Yards Way, North Tower
Madison, WI 53705

EXPEDITED SERVICE You may request expedited service for any document filing. It will receive attention by the close of the business day following that on which it is received. Clearly mark documents "FOR EXPEDITED SERVICE" and provide an additional $25.00 for each item.

NAME AVAILABILITY The availability of a limited liability company name is determined at the time of filing of the application for certificate of registration or an application to reserve a name. No name can be assumed to be available unless confirmed by written acknowledgement from this department.

NAME RESERVATION A domestic or foreign limited liability company may apply to reserve exclusive use of a company name by delivering an written or telephone application to the department. The application must include the name and address of the applicant and the name proposed to be reserved. If accepted, the name will be reserved for a period of 120 days. The reservation may be renewed.

CONTINUING REQUIREMENTS To maintain its registration, a foreign limited liability company must promptly file its annual report, continuously maintain a registered agent and registered office in Wisconsin, and promptly apply for an amended certificate of registration in the event it changes its name, its date or state of organization or if the vesting of management of the LLC is changed.

REGISTRATION EXCEPTIONS No certificate of registration is required under Chapter 183 for:

  • Maintaining, defending or settling any civil, criminal, administrative or investigatory proceeding.
  • Holding meetings of its member or managers or carrying on other activities concerning its internal affairs.
  • Maintaining financial institution accounts.
  • Maintaining offices or agencies for the transfer, exchange and registration of the foreign limited liability company’s own securities or interests or maintaining trustees or depositories with respect to those securities or interests.
  • Selling through independent contractors.
  • Soliciting or obtaining orders, whether by mail or through employes or agents or otherwise, if the orders require acceptance outside this state before they become contracts.
  • Lending money or creating or acquiring indebtedness, mortgages and security interests in property.
  • Securing or collecting debts or enforcing mortgages and security interests in property securing debts.
  • Owning, without more, property.
  • Conducting an isolated transaction that is completed within 30 days and that is not one in the course of repeated transactions of a like nature.
  • Transacting business in interstate commerce.

A foreign limited liability company shall not be considered to be transacting business in this state solely because it

  • Owns a controlling interest in a corporation that is transacting business in this state.
  • Is a limited partner of a limited partnership that is transacting business in this state.
  • Is a member or manager of a limited liability company or foreign limited liability company that is transacting business in this state.

ADDITIONAL ASSISTANCE A foreign limited liability company intending to offer architectural or professional engineering services in this state may have a registration requirement with the Department of Safety and Professional Services. Phone (608) 266-2112. A charitable organization soliciting donations in this state may address questions to the Department of Financial Institutions Charitable Organizations office at (608) 267-1711.