You are here:   

Mortgage Banking Complaints

The Mortgage Banking Section investigates complaints relating to alleged violations of state statutes and, in some cases, federal law. Reporting problems promptly to the Division provides a better chance of resolving them.

When answering the questions on the complaint form, please summarize your concerns in a chronological manner using the following guidelines:

  1. Tell us what happened. Start from the beginning and describe the events as they occurred. Be specific as to what was said and who said it. Indicate whether or not any promises made to you were put in writing.
  2. Describe the specific incident as it happened to you. We cannot investigate general allegations you believe a business or individual may be conducting.
  3. Provide documentation that pertains to your complaint, such as a copy of the loan estimate, closing disclosure, escrow analysis, cancelled checks, or any other paperwork you believe would substantiate your case.

To file a mortgage banking complaint, either use the on-line method or the complaint form below.

  • DFI Online Application File your Complaint On-line
  • Adobe PDF Document Mortgage Banking Complaint Form (PDF: 92 KB / 3 pages)

  • The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau “CFPB” was created to provide a single point of accountability for enforcing federal consumer financial laws and protecting consumers in the financial marketplace.

    To file a complaint with the CFPB please click here.
  • If you have a complaint against a National Bank please click here.

If you have questions regarding the complaint form or our complaint process, you may call the Mortgage Banking Section at 608-261-7578.

The Department of Financial Institutions is responsible for licensing and regulating Mortgage Bankers, Mortgage Brokers and Mortgage Loan Originators. This Department cannot offer legal advice or represent you in a private legal action. As we cannot act as a court of law, we may not be able to require that fees be refunded, contracts be canceled, damages be awarded, etc. If you have this type of concern, you may want to seek the advice of private legal counsel.