The Division of Securities registers and monitors the activities of broker-dealers, securities agents, investment advisers, and investment adviser representatives. The Division also conducts field audits of broker-dealer and investment advisers and investigates customer complaints. When violations of the securities law are detected, the Division initiates the appropriate administrative, injunctive, or criminal action. There are two bureaus within the Division: Enforcement and Professional Registration & Compliance.
Check before you invest! To offer securities or investment advice in Wisconsin, the salesperson and firm must be registered (or exempt from registration). To verify someone’s registration status, call the Division of Securities or go to FINRA BrokerCheck.
Have a question? Call us
If you have a question about a broker-dealer, securities agent, investment adviser or investment adviser representative, call the Division of Securities at (608) 266-2139, Monday through Friday between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.
COVID-19 Information & Resources
- DFI Participates in Coordinated International Crackdown on COVID-19 Investment Scams (Issued Sept. 1, 2020)
- DFI Recognizes World Elder Abuse Awareness Day (Issued June 15, 2020)
- DFI Issues Advisory to Raise Awareness of Private Offering Risks (Issued June 2, 2020)
- Advisory on Private Placement Offerings (Issued June 2, 2020)
- DFI Joins Task Force Cracking Down on COVID-19 Investment Scams (Issued May 14, 2020)
- COVID-19-Related Investment Schemes Anticipated (Issued March 31, 2020)
- Emergency Order for Registrants Affected by the COVID-19 Outbreak (Issued March 20, 2020)
- Read DFI Division of Securities’ Letter to Investment Advisers (Issued March 18, 2020)
Wisconsin Accepts Electronic Filing Through EFD – Updated
The Wisconsin Division of Securities, as a member of the North American Securities Administrators Association, has already made use of NASAA’s electronic Filing Depository (EFD) System for Regulation D and Form NF-UIT notice filings. EFD has now been expanded with a new functionality, referred to as “Universal Filing Type” or UFT, which has given filers the ability to electronically submit filings and fees for a greater range of corporate finance materials to the Division. The filing types that are now being accepted through UFT include: registrations by coordination or qualification, Regulation A (Tier 1 and 2), state law exemptions, and any further filings associated with these filing types, including those that do not require a fee (e.g., prospectus supplements). The EFD website also enables the public to search and view, free of charge, filings made through EFD with state securities regulators. EFD is available at: https://www.efdnasaa.org.
Franchise Filing Important Notice
To promote sustainability and efficiency, all franchise registrations and amendments must be filed online with the Division.
Click Here for Online Franchise Filings
Financial Service Providers
This Informed Investor Advisory provides basic information on types of financial services professionals and their relationship with you as a client.Understanding different roles of financial professionals
Search for Financial Professionals
To check on the registration status of an agent or broker-dealer, you may use FINRA BrokerCheck.
You may check on an investment adviser or investment adviser representative at the Investment Adviser Public Disclosure website.
Research Old Stock Certificates
The Division of Securities occasionally receives inquiries regarding the status of old stock certificates. These resources may assist you in your search. Research Old Stock Certificates.
Starting an Investment Club
This summary reviews only certain aspects of Chapter 551, Wis. Stats., for starting and operating an investment club. Other laws may also apply. Starting an Investment Club.
Registration of Professionals
- General Information
- Broker-Dealer Information
- Investment Adviser Information
- Securities Agent
- Investment Adviser Representatives
- Securities Fee Waiver for Veterans
- Request for Registrant List