Credit Card Tips
- Record the names, account numbers and addresses of card companies and keep that information in a safe place.
- Never give out your card number or Social Security number to any solicitor.
- To destroy a card, cut it vertically through the account number and advise your financial institution in writing that the card is no longer wanted.
- Sign cards, and destroy expired cards.
- Treat cards as if they were cash. Do not carry unnecessary cards.
- Never leave cards, or card receipts (which often have the card number on them) in cars.
- At home, keep cards out of sight
- Make sure after each purchase the card is returned, and make sure it is the right card
- Never lend a card to a friend
- Keep a copy of drafts and check them against monthly statements
- If requested, provide a merchant with identification.
- Contact your financial institution immediately if you notice fraudulent activity on bills.
- Always notify your financial institution immediately if a card is lost or stolen. Also,
call the police and request a case number, which should then be provided to the financial
- Possibly the greatest sources of credit cards, checks and other negotiable items to
fraud artists are mailboxes. Consider a locking device for your mailbox.